University of Wisconsin-La Crosse | uwlax.edu
Federal Direct Student Loans
UW-La Crosse participates in the Federal Direct Loan Program. With Direct Lending, the lender is the U.S. Department of Education.
Federal Unsubsidized Loans
- All loans must be repaid. Borrowing only what you need will reduce the amount that must be repaid when you are no longer in school.
- All students who wish to borrow from the Direct Loan Program must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- The Financial Aid Office will process your FAFSA application and send you an e-mail notification when your financial aid is ready to review and accept in your WINGS student center.
- All first-time Direct Loan borrowers will need to complete the Direct Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN) and the federally required Entrance Loan Counseling before their Direct Loans will be disbursed. These requirements can be completed atwww.studentloans.gov.
- Graduate students are eligible for Federal Unsubsidized Loan.
- For the 2016-17 academic year, the interest rate on the Federal Unsubsidized Loan is a fixed rate of 5.31% for graduate students with a 1.068% Origination Fee deducted from the loan before it is disbursed.
- You may find the 2016-17 Guide to Your Financial Aid to be very helpful in understanding the Direct Loan process.