About the college
College of Liberal Studies
The College of Liberal Studies
Welcome to the College of Liberal Studies [CLS] at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse! CLS has departments and programs in the humanities, social sciences, arts and communication and interdisciplinary studies. The college is home to more than 160 faculty members who are committed to excellence in teaching, scholarship and creative endeavors.
A rich and wide array of courses and degree programs are offered at both the undergraduate and the graduate levels. Opportunities abound for students to participate in undergraduate research and creative endeavors, professional internships, student-teaching experiences, service-learning projects and international study programs.
The liberal arts foundation of the college stresses the importance of effective communication, creative and critical thinking, and respect and understanding of human difference. Students acquire the knowledge, skills and dispositions needed to be productive, informed global citizens.
Experience for a Lifetime
It is no secret that the era of the specialist is rapidly changing to the era of the multifaceted human being - knowledgeable, creative, and globally competent. As the world becomes increasingly complex we need to:
- Be able to learn quickly, think clearly, and communicate effectively.
- Have intellectual depth to use knowledge to attain goals and solve problems.
- Have historical perspective and cultural understanding to adapt to constant global change.
It is not enough to absorb information; we must interact dynamically with it. Dynamic interaction is at the heart of the 56 undergraduate and five graduate degree programs in the humanities, social sciences, arts and communication, education and interdisciplinary programs that comprise the College of Liberal Studies.
- Faculty who love to teach and students who love to learn have created an environment where opportunities for student research, scholarship, and creative endeavors abound.
- Whether on an archaeological dig, in an elementary school teaching Spanish, or engaged in a public relations campaign for a community organization, hands-on learning experiences are at the heart of liberal-studies learning.
- Exceptional academic preparation for our students knows no bounds and extends to all corners of the globe.
- More students than ever before are going abroad to study, engage in service learning, research endeavors, and internship opportunities.
A lifetime of learning and discovery are possible through the College of Liberal Studies.
Like the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse on Facebook. Click here.
The College of Liberal Studies is dedicated to providing quality instruction and learning experiences, which prepare students for future education or careers and meaningful, responsible lives by fostering a climate of intellectual curiosity and creativity.
Graduates of the college will have developed the ability to communicate effectively, think critically, conduct sound research, understand global issues, use knowledge in all aspects of life, participate meaningfully as citizens, and to discover and apply worthwhile values.
The college is committed to maintaining academic integrity and high ethical standards. The college, through its faculty, students, and curricula, is also dedicated to advancing cultural diversity. Furthermore, by developing partnerships and encouraging professional connections, the college establishes its membership in the broader community.
The academic community within the College of Liberal Studies supports a strong general education program, nurtures exceptional disciplinary programs, and creates innovative interdisciplinary programs. Together these programs promote lifelong personal and professional learning.