Surround yourself with knowledge. Surround yourself with UW-La Crosse.
Eugene W. Murphy was a nationally known trucking company executive, a state college regent, and a civic leader in La Crosse. He was chairman of the Gateway Transportation Company from 1933 until January 1981 when the company was sold. He served on the Wisconsin State College Board of Regents, now the University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents, from 1951 to 1973. He was President of the Board from 1966-1969.
The Eugene W. Murphy Library was dedicated on June 12, 1969, and so named in recognition for his years of service to the University and the Wisconsin State University System.
Murphy was also instrumental in getting North Hall, now W. Carl Wimberly Hall, built on the UW-L campus in the early 1970s. Former UW-L Chancellor Kenneth Lindner credited Murphy's support for the building in ensuring its construction despite opposition from state officials.
Eugene Murphy was also a trustee and president of the St. Francis Medical Center Advisory Board and a director of the Wisconsin Historical Society; he was elected Man of the Year by the Greater La Crosse Chamber of Commerce in 1960. Mr. Murphy died on March 5, 1987, at the age of 85.
The Eugene W. Murphy Library Special Recognition Award recognizes those individuals or organizations that have made major contributions to the mission, programs, and purposes of Murphy Library. The list of award recipients features all of the past honorees and their contributions to Murphy Library.
Email: Use our Ask-a-Librarian form
Visit: Check the reference desk hours
As a pilot project, Room 12, in the library basement, has been converted to a silent
study room. Many students ask for an environment even quieter than the library’s designated quiet
areas, so this room is intended to answer that need.
For more information on this space please see our blog. We look forward to learning how this room fulfills its intended
purpose. Please let us know how it is working for you. Send feedback on this space to
To provide more computers during the busy period at the end of the semester, the library is opening
an additional room with computers. Room 30, a computer classroom in the basement of the library,
will open during regular library hours starting December 1, 2013. Students will be able to use the desktop
computers in that room individually or in groups.
University of Wisconsin-La Crosse
1725 State Street, La Crosse, WI 54601, USA | 608.785.8000
© Copyright 2013